Friday, April 19, 2013

Seed Starting

Today I sat in front of the TV all day listening to what was happening in Watertown, MA.  So Scary!!!  I am glad to hear it is all over.

To keep my mind off it, I decided to work my starter seeds for my garden.  The last attempt I made of this did not finish well.  I had great healthy looking plants indoors, but when I planted them outside, they all died. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen this time.

 This is what the tray looks like as you begin.  This is a Jiffy Greenhouse kit that comes with 72 pellets and then there is a dome to go over it.
 Next step it to add water and them open up the tops of these pellets and loosen the soil a little to prep it for seeds.
 2 to 3 seeds go into each pellet. the seeds get tucked down into the soil a little depending on the seed packets.
 Then I track what seeds are planted.


And this is the finished tray.  It took about an hour to do the whole tray and the news was still going on about the "Suspect #2" still as large. 

I needed something else to do so I ran to Home Depot to buy another tray.  One store was closed.  I wonder if it had to do with what was happening on TV.  So I drove to another that was open this afternoon but found out later, this store closed, too.

Anyway, I planted another tray.  My plan was to place these trays on my kitchen table where there is strong sunlight for at least 10 hours a day.  the packaging says these new seeds need warm temperature but NOT direct sunlight until the seeds germinate.  So I had to clean the top of my refrigerator.  So this is where these two trays sit now.

I will follow up with updates as to how they are doing.

Happy Spring and Be Safe!!!

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment